[CPWG] Fwd: [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 23:08:29 UTC 2019

I have been reading this thread and now feel compelled to add my 2 cents.

First, to the matter of the ALAC's advocacy for end user interest in the
ICANN environment. I came to this fully vested in what I knoow not just
from practice but as an active advocate that in regard to Internet matters,
the single most important issue for the average Jamaican end user - in the
ICT4D practice we use a label 'the grandmother in Claverty Cottage -  is
access. And access here devolves to mean infrastructure where it exists and
secondly, the cost to access what exists. From the evidence, so-called
Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) share these concerns. Since we have
similar topography, are moving along the same developmental path and share
service providers, it is easy to see these as shared concerns with our
Caribbean cousins. These concerns and advocacy to improve them predate
caucusing with ICANN interests. And, we are quite aware that these do not
fit in the envelope of ICANN interests. But since we are here, we are
always looking over the fence and around the corner for anything that could
impact these clear and present challenges even as we look ahead to others
that might develop if and when we overcome our access challenges. To be
clear, we actively seek allies for this struggle; persons from similar
backgrounds exhibiting similar challenges with shared outlook, interests
and drive to get some useful thing done.

Let the record show that I fully support Evan's analysis and the position
that emerged from that analysis; given our time and capacity, the At-Large
in general and ALAC in particular must laser end user interests as our
lodestar for action. That is not a recent or pulled-from-a-hat position.
Read the R3 paper and you will see it there.  On top of that, Evan has been
a source of support for what I consider to be our - Jamaican and Caribbean
- interests ever since we met. He is thoughtful, passionate on what he
knows, and yes, provocative in his communiques. All of that goes well with
me. He is and remains my friend.

So let talk Applicant Support. I co-chaired that WG, not because I thought
a end user is in dire need of a TLD but I saw it as driving other matters
that inure to the best interests of the end users I represent in the names
and numbers policy development environment.

Like Evan, we have always known that TLD ownership does not in and of
itself track well for end user interest. There is, however, what we
consider a derivative interest. A stake in the game that is the Domain Name
System can be a catalyst for all other interests. And a TLD ownership
and/or operation by somebody from this side of empire - we couch it as MDCs
and LDCs - would fit that goal.  Any increase in TLD ownership among
interests from my side of empire, especially if community-type engagement
is part of the proposition, makes the use case for  enabling content that
potentiate a push/pull stimuli for the infrastructure buildout and lowered
access cost that are high priority and interest to Jamaican internet end
users.

Yes, Evan is right we don't have data to support this. But we're willing to
take it on a wing and a prayer. [Just in case you line up to call me
hypocrite, for the record, I'm not a praying man!] Are there developments
that might provide more useful information? Absolutely!  Are there other
factors that might be more useful for exploitation to objective? Surely
so.  And, I am willing to reassess my position in light of all the new
information, too!

Here's the other thing.  We know these matters of access and cost of access
are shared concerns of our SIDS cousins in the South Pacific as well as
most of our African brethren. They also have other issues that might not be
as impactful on us this side of the globe. But there is enough for us to
make common cause in favour of support for Applicant Support.

Tijani earlier in the thread laid out succinctly the evidence from last
time to demonstrate the missed objectives for Applicant Support. I endorse
every piece of them. Now, on the record, I can tell you that in my view the
At-Large's heightened concern for 'gaming' informed our position on the
stringent conditions that emerged for access to Applicant Support. And was,
unambiguously, contributory to this failure.

I'm sorry but there is a history to this. Everytime I read it, I recall
from experience, heads of agreements pertaining development assistance in
the diplomatic arena. It always seem that the fella seeking assistance must
prove, a priori, he's not a crook. Without apology, that is always
offensive to me. And rankles, especially if you know how this assistance
game goes.

That language offered to forestall 'gaming' is still in play today on the
SubPro WG deliberations. I will reject it on the record.
-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*