[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Aug 7 14:31:37 UTC 2019

Alan,

I agree with your point of view. Moreover we should distinguish between two groups of “Individual Internet users". Obviously we are looking at the DNS and it’s use, right? I see these two groups:

1.      The person who is using the DNS to navigate the Internet. That is: Visiting Internet domain names in order to reach websites or sending and receiving emails (among other use cases).

2.      The registrants of domain names (insofar they utilize them for personal use)

I for example use alexander.berlin and alexander.lv as my virtual personal “calling cards”. I do not use them in any commercial activity. My needs and concerns (as Individual) about the governing of .berlin should be focus of ALAC in that respect. Likewise I am using .berlin domain names to find web content. So it is important for me that the .berlin gTLD is governed in a way that it creates value for me as Internet user.

I am preaching since over a decade that these are the BOTH constituents for any registry operator: First-most the INTERNET USER! And then the prospective domain registrants. So in the terms of ALAC “Individual Internet users” should be:

1.      Individuals navigating the Internet utilizing the DNS

2.      Individuals as domain registrants

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Alexander