[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 16:45:16 UTC 2019

On Wed., Aug. 7, 2019, 10:32 a.m. Alexander Schubert,
<alexander at schubert.berlin> wrote:

> We should distinguish between two groups of “Individual Internet users".
> Obviously we are looking at the DNS and it’s use, right? I see these two
> groups:

1.      The person who is using the DNS to navigate the Internet. That is:
> Visiting Internet domain names in order to reach websites or sending and
> receiving emails (among other use cases).

Yes, that is ALAC’s mandate

> 2.      The registrants of domain names (insofar they utilize them for
> personal use)

There is an entire HALF of the GNSO, the non-contracted-party half, created
explicitly to represent their interests. Indeed, that half of the GNSO is
further subdivided into commercial and non-commercial groups.

 I for example use alexander.berlin and alexander.lv as my virtual personal
> “calling cards”. I do not use them in any commercial activity. My needs and
> concerns (as Individual) about the governing of .berlin should be focus of
> ALAC in that respect.

The NCSG (and specifically NCUC) was made just for you. NCUC even has "non
commercial user" in its name! Unlike ALAC it has voting rights in the body
that can compel the ICANN Board.

(And Alexander, as a long time ICANN insider and former gTLD applicant,
surely you must be aware of all that.)

Why do you consider yourself entitled to influencing ICANN policy through
two different vectors? The non registrant end-user has ALAC alone.

You may have a problem with how well NCUC serves your needs as a
registrant. But that's not ALAC's problem to solve, it has enough of its
own 🙂.

- Evan