[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 09:31:58 UTC 2019

When interpreting the scope within the Bylaws, such as "end users", it goes
hand in hand with "global public interest".

Paul Wilson, APNIC's DG, a member of the ASO in ICANN likes to use an
analogy of what we do as a technical community and he uses an analogy of a
car but I am going to use his analogy and build on it. The average end user
just enjoys the vehicle but behind the scene, there are manufacturers,
standards and those who develop standards, monitor and implement standards
at all levels of manufacturing, there are others who deal with insurance
and product liability and guarantees and warranties. There are trade rules
etc. However, those who work behind the scenes in the ecosystem and engage
in vigorous debate, testing act as stewards and the average passenger or
driver could'nt care less and would not be knowledgeable about the
standards, they are just concerned with affordability and functionality.
Users differ of course some are more savvy and some more technical than
most. Categorizing end users is a dangerous thing because the danger is in
not being inclusive as you can easily miss some.

So to mitigate this danger, as the Bylaws were being developed (suggest you
have a town hall with Marilyn Cade), the At Large structure was added on to
voice global public interest and be seen to protect the end users so that
end users have a mechanism to input into global public policy coordination
within the ICANN ecosystem. This gives the ICANN legitimacy and if you
consider the WTO, the ITU, we are in fact advanced in that we enable and
allow for global public interest without just relying on governments to
speak for their people.

This makes the ICANN process democratic. Would the average person in Samoa
want to know about gTLDs when the minimum wage is 86 cents (USD) maybe not
now but maybe in a few years time, yes. So it is for these reasons and more
that the ALAC is a steward for these things and if people think otherwise,
by trying to go against this then I would suggest they engage in self
reflection whether they should remain in At Large or move on to another
constituency.

It has been a long and hard fought battle by former ALAC chairs and members
to establish the At Large and we should not begin to whittle away the
responsibility of being stewards.

Sala