[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Aug 9 09:57:51 UTC 2019

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 05:41, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

Paul Wilson, APNIC's DG, a member of the ASO in ICANN likes to use an
> analogy of what we do as a technical community and he uses an analogy of a
> car but I am going to use his analogy and build on it. The average end user
> just enjoys the vehicle but behind the scene, there are manufacturers,
> standards and those who develop standards, monitor and implement standards
> at all levels of manufacturing, there are others who deal with insurance
> and product liability and guarantees and warranties. There are trade rules
> etc. However, those who work behind the scenes in the ecosystem and engage
> in vigorous debate, testing act as stewards and the average passenger or
> driver could'nt care less and would not be knowledgeable about the
> standards, they are just concerned with affordability and functionality.

Internet end-users who are not registrants have no purchase decision to
make. They didn't have to choose the domain, registrar or TLD. They just
have to live with the consequences.

The closest one could come in the car analogy to At-Large would be
passengers. They have no say in the choices being made of car make or
repair shop, yet they are impacted by the choices of everyone above them.
They care about safety and stability and reliability but have little stake
in whether they're riding in a Ford or Lada or where it was purchased, And
while all car owners are passengers too, their interests as car consumers
are different from those of passengers who only care about the transport.

ALAC is charged with speaking for the Internet's passengers. the NCPH for
the owners and drivers, and the CPH for the auto industry.

This is not a difficult concept. Each group has its distinct voice within
ICANN.

- Evan