[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Aug 10 17:10:57 UTC 2019

Dear Tijani,

of course others are trying to influence our decisions and have more
influence. But the At-Large Community are not just sitting ducks. We as
a group are a formidable force that can also influence others. So as
much as At-Large is influenced by people participating from other
communities, these people are also influencing these other communities
from the discussions we are having here.
The problem I have is when someone accuses the other community of trying
to take it over - to "capture" it. The numbers are such that it is
unlikely that this could ever happen - just accusing another community
of trying to take you over is a way to avoid looking at one's own
shortcomings.

And my view about the Empowered Community is that it's like a nuclear
button. Press it and we all die, including ICANN. We've designed this in
order to make sure ICANN doesn't end up "going rogue", only our
definition of "going rogue" is different, so either we'll never agree
with each other to press the button(s), or we will and then... boom! the
multi-stakeholder party's over for everyone.

Kindest regards,

Olivier