[CPWG] Some relevant stats on .ORG

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Thu Dec 5 19:29:42 UTC 2019

John,

Thanks for the stats.  I expect that as you mention that the registration
momentum will continue with ccTLDs rather than with gTLDs.

Many of the national ccTLD domain authorities are effective managers.  They
treat registries as service providers rather than as owners of the name
spaces.  They don't grant perpetual contracts on the rationale that
registry service providers won't be willing to invest in operating a
registry unless they are given a perpetual right to do so.  Instead, like
PIR itself, they put out registry operations for regular rebid.  This way
the cost to operate a registry falls, and those savings can be passed down
to end-users.

They create stable pricing environments where companies and nonprofits can
develop an online brand knowing that they won't face inflated,
unpredictable charges when it comes time to renew their domain names in the
future.  In short, they look out for the public interest.

“We expect that the price of a .au domain will be a little bit less than
what has been charged in the past,” LaPlante said. “It will be up to the
board, but we recommended to take it down a bit.”
https://domainnamewire.com/2017/12/18/auda-drops-neustar-transition-3-million-au-domain-names-afilias/

"Under the new contract AFNIC
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/6101/show/afnic-continues-as-the-registry-for-the-fr-tld-2.html>
will
actually have to *LOWER* the wholesale price of a .FR domain name, over the
next two years, although the wholesale price for a .FR domain is already
20% lower than a .com "
https://www.thedomains.com/2012/08/07/afnic-awarded-new-contract-to-run-fr-registry-but-only-after-open-bidding-results-in-reduced-prices/

"Pricing for registry services has dropped significantly over the past
couple years since new top level domain names were introduced."
https://domainnamewire.com/2016/09/22/kiwi-turns-new-cira-platform-registry-services/

"The manager for .nz announced today that they have launched a registry
replacement process and are calling for expressions of interest from
potential service providers by November 29th."
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20191022_new_zealands_dot_nz_manager_seeking_new_registry_service_provider/

"Neustar won the back-end contract from .in manager NIXI last year, out
from under Afilias, after reportedly undercutting Afilias’ $1.10
per-domain-per-year bid with a $0.70 bid of its own."
http://domainincite.com/23905-despite-afilias-lawsuit-neustar-names-date-for-indian-takeaway

-Nat Cohen