[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Subsequent Procedures | Request for feedback on Neustar's proposal for 3-phased New gTLD Application Model

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Sat Jan 5 11:37:49 UTC 2019

Justine, thanks again; This is another excellent piece of work.

I tend to agree with Olivier regarding the conflict of interest of Jeff. I attended the SubPro WG meeting in Barcelona, and Jeff said they are preparing fpr the new application process even before the whole consultation process finishes and before the final approval of the Board. I asked why the rush…. I find the Neustar proposal premature since it’s not yet decided if there will be successive rounds or a single open round. Their proposal of a phased round followed immediately by an open round gave me the impression that decisions are already made.

As for phased round, it might be a good thing, but I disagree with the order of the phases and their nature:
The community applications shouldn’t be combined with the generic ones
I agree that the first phase can be for the dot brand  TLDs that are not geo names
The second phase should be for the community TLDs and applications supported by the ASP since we proposed that these applications should have the priority in case of string contention.
3rd phase for the geo TLDs
4th phase for the generic TLDs

But as I said, all this is premature and will depend on the content of the WG final report approved by the board (priority policy for community and supported applications, kind of application rounds, etc.).

Tijani BEN JEMAA
Executive Director
Phone: +216 98 330 114
            +216 52 385 114