[CPWG] WT5 request for comments -- PR#11 - letters of support

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri Jan 18 22:29:49 UTC 2019

Colleagues, despite the great discussion we had on the cpwg call on
Wednesday, we ran out of time and we need more input on the following
issue in the sub.pro. WT5 request for comments on geo-names:

    */Preliminary Recommendation 11/*

*/Work Track 5 recommends continuing to consider the following category
a geographic name requiring government support at the top level.
Applications for these strings must be accompanied by documentation of
support or non-objection from the relevant governments or public
authorities if://**/*

*

/**/

/*An application for a city name, where the applicant declares that it
intends to use the gTLD for purposes associated with the city name. An
application for a city name will be subject to the geographic names
requirements (i.e., will require documentation of support or
non-objection from *//*relevant governments or public authorities) if:
(a) It is clear from applicant statements within the application that
the applicant will use the TLD *primarily *for purposes associated with
the city name; and (b) The applied-for string is a city name as listed
on official city documents*/

/**/

/**The suggestion is that we support PR #11– but because of uncertainty
over “primarily” and enforcement of limitation (i.e. can be circumvented
by not declaring intended use or declaring another intended use)
requirement for support/non-objection letter should be the sole
mechanism for city name applications**/

**

***

There was a deep split in the work track on this issue. One of our
members is on record (see google doc) as opposing the suggestion that
there be a requirement for a letter of support/non-objection in all
cases. Please let us know where you stand. You can enter your comments
directly into the google.doc or send them to the list and we will assemble.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BQIg8Y2igjRmTDHbmBr-ahuovp7EXrOBwa6SArEB2K0/edit#

Thanks

Marita and Justine