[CPWG] The crux of the COM issue

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Sun Jan 5 17:28:08 UTC 2020

Jonathan,

I find it disturbing that while you are participating in At-Large nominally
as a representative of the best interests of end-users, you consistently
adopt talking points pushed by Verisign and PIR and bash domain investors.

While domain investors are affected by price hikes, so is each and every
registrant of .org and .com.  You have so far failed to explain why it is
in the best interests of .org and .com registrants to pay unjustified
higher prices to continue the use of their domain names, for the sole
benefit of those registries that are already being overpaid for the
services they provide.

For those with an interest, here is the link to the ICA's statement laying
out many reasons for concern with the handling and the terms of the
proposed renewal of the .com agreement:
https://www.internetcommerce.org/ica-statement-on-icanns-announced-changes-to-the-com-registry-agreement/

Regards,

Nat Cohen