[CPWG] Verisign

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Mon Jan 6 15:22:33 UTC 2020

Yes, definitely. It was in my SOI at the time. I haven’t had too many dealings with them but I found Keith Drazek to be a pretty honest broker during the CCWG efforts to build an accountability framework prior to the transition so, when the DC fights (Ted Cruz, etc.) began, I went to Verisign among others, for help with our efforts to mobilize our members at ACT to make the case for the transition in DC. At the time, ACT counted among its sponsors Microsoft, AT&T, Apple, NBC Universal, Viacom, Fox and Disney and I was in the IPC for many years, mostly criticizing Verisign on things like thick whois. After lobbying for stronger IP for 20 years, I’m still a bit of an IP hawk as my At-Large colleagues will attest, despite no longer having any more IP related sponsors.

Another, looser, connection is that I’m still technically on the board of NetChoice which I spun out of ACT many years ago to fight barriers to ecommerce but I haven’t had any operational role in NetChoice since spinning it out. NC counts Verisign as one of its members.

A few years ago, I retired from ACT to focus on two non-profits, DC Dogs and The Innovators Network Foundation, neither of which has much to do with IG but I didn’t want to leave the community so I joined the At-Large primarily to be a part of the implementation of the review related reforms. I’ve been pretty focused on process in the At-Large, rather than pursuing any particular policy agenda. I’m fairly certain that I’ll be opposing Verisign, and the contracted parties generally, more often that agreeing with them because of DNS Abuse. I imagine the contracted parties aren’t too happy about the CCT Recommendations or the At-Large recommendations in that arena nor many upcoming recommendations for reform prior to a new round.

So all of this has been part of the public record as is my reform oriented agenda at ICANN (“Metrics Man”) and I think that record speaks for itself. I’m not sure ad hominem is any better an approach on this than Jacob’s ad Nazium arguments in his Circle ID post. The At-Large is a diverse, heterogeneous body with the near impossible mandate to identify and champion the interests of individual internet users. Our job is made all the more difficult by our open door membership policy that makes it possible for folks, who have never shown an interest in individual end users, to join as individual members, when their business interests appear to be at stake. Throwing around platitudes like “of course, our interests are aligned with end users” along with ad hominem attacks doesn’t really advance the debate. Instead, focus on the points being made and let’s see if we can find consensus on how the At-Large should proceed. I thought your email to Evan was thoughtful and I plan to read it more carefully.  More of that would be ideal if you’d like to continue to participate in At-Large deliberations.

This thread began because I shared Alvin’s article on what’s at stake for domain investors and I don’t envy the position in which you find yourselves. That said, it has little or nothing to do with the interests of individual end users who are more likely to benefit from a price hike, especially if some of that money gets invested in security and stability activities. Individual end users don’t care about the wholesale price of domains. They care about whether they’re getting to the site they intend, that the site won’t infect their machine with malware, that the site won’t commit fraud on them, etc. etc., and those individual end users are, unfortunately for you, our constituency here in At-Large.