[CPWG] PIR: Why an At-Large Board Member?

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Thu Jan 9 19:57:57 UTC 2020

Could you draft something up?

Jonathan Zuck
Executive Director
Innovators Network Foundation
www.Innovatorsnetwork.org<http://www.Innovatorsnetwork.org>

________________________________
From: Greg Shatan <greg at isoc-ny.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:54:27 PM
To: Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>
Cc: CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [CPWG] PIR: Why an At-Large Board Member?

Jonathan,

Those are good ideas, and reflect broader thinking beyond the question of how ALAC can be influential on PIR's governance.  I think it's better if we make broader recommendations about PIR's Board, rather than just saying "Give us a Board seat, please." That would appear selfish to many.

This dovetails with comments we can make about the difference between the role of a Board (standard corporate form, clear role in governance, ultimate authority within the organization; binding decisions) and a "Stewardship Council" (not standard, no clear role, definitely not ultimate authority, non-binding -- unless the By-Laws or Charter (Articles of Incorporation) that say otherwise).

We should be making broader recommendations about governance structure, in any event -- beyond our role and beyond the Board.  This is a good reminder to do so.

Greg Shatan
greg at isoc-ny.org<mailto:greg at isoc-ny.org>
President, ISOC-NY
"The Internet is for everyone"

I recognize it feels natural in our comments/advice to suggest someone from At-Large be on the PIR board but again I feel it prudent to ask, why At-Large? Why wouldn’t we ask that 1/3 of the board members be representatives of 501c(3) non-profits or ASBLs from Brussels? Those same people might be in the At-Large but that wouldn’t be why they are on the board of PIR.

Jonathan Zuck |  Executive Director  |  Innovators Network

jzuck at innovatorsnetwork.org<mailto:jzuck at innovatorsnetwork.org> | O 202.420.7497 | S jvzuck |

[cid:image001.png at 01D2AEED.C7EA7800]