[CPWG] PIR: Why an At-Large Board Member?

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 9 21:38:16 UTC 2020

Thanks Greg

Following on from your comments, it is not just a seat on the Board we should go for.  It is about requirements on the Board members.  Unless there is something in Board governance documentation that requires that Ethos Capital act in the public interest, a seat on the Board (or 10 seats for that matter) won’t matter. The requirements on any Board member are about acting in the best interests of the company.  So if the ‘best interests off the company’ include acting in the public interest, it then becomes something ALL of the Board members must do.

Suggestion - incorporate the statements made by Ethos Capital about how good they will be into enforceable commitments. Something the ICANN Board could be asked to do.  Then it will be an obligation on ALL directors. Then, if there is a public interest member of the Board, their job will simply be to remind all directors of their obligations.

Holly