[CPWG] Domain Name Abuse... potentially

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Mon Mar 30 11:10:57 UTC 2020

There’s plenty of activity in the infosec space and many of the registrars, registries and others have taken action around the current crisis:
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/digital/it-sicherheit-coronavirus-hacker-cybercrime-1.4859962

http://domainincite.com/25368-namecheap-and-others-banning-coronavirus-domains

http://domainincite.com/25364-go-here-to-help-fight-against-coronavirus-abuse

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

From: CPWG <cpwg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Bill Jouris via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
Reply to: "b_jouris at yahoo.com" <b_jouris at yahoo.com>
Date: Friday 27 March 2020 at 19:03
To: "JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org" <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>, Joanna Kulesza <jkuleszaicann at gmail.com>, "cpwg at icann.org" <cpwg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [CPWG] Domain Name Abuse... potentially

Basically, if you buy a domain name in the hopes of reselling it, that's a non-problem.  Definitely not, in itself, abuse.  An irritation, for some.  And a potential problem.  But not yet one.

However, if you take one of those names, and use it to misrepresent yourself (specifically your site) as someone/something you are not, that is abuse.  Also fraud.  The question to my mind is, is that problem better addressed as DNS abuse?  Or via the existing legal system as fraud?  Which, I suppose, depends in part on how well the legal system can deal with fraud on an international level in an interconnected world.

Bill Jouris

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 8:03 AM, Jonathan Zuck