[CPWG] GAC Statement on the EPDP Addendum

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed May 6 04:15:08 UTC 2020

On 06/05/2020 04:28, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> During last week's CPWG meeting, I reported that we might be approached
> to see if the ALAC would support the GAC submission to the Public
> Comment on the EPDP Addendum to its Phase 2 Draft Report. I noted that
> based on a draft I had seen, the GAC comments were fully in line with
> those in the ALAC draft comment, and were in line with positions that
> the ALAC had taken in the past.
>
> That did happen and I was given permission to distribute the draft GAC
> statement to the ALAC. With Maureen's support, the ALAC Members were
> asked if they would be willing to endorse the GAC statement. I have
> happy to report that the ALAC unanimously gave its support, and the GAC
> was so informed.
>
> I am attaching here a copy of the statement submitted by the GAC.

The point about the registration data of legal entities being public is
a good one. (The Registration Data of Legal Entities Should Remain
Public). I've been doing some research on the global web hosting market
(hosters, website counts, usage) and the way that the gTLD WHOIS has
been vandalised in a completely moronic fashion destroys trust and
creates more risks than it solves.

This point is problematic: "Domain Name Registration Data Should be
Accurate". Ensuring registration accuracy is difficult and as has been
shown in previous studies and de-accreditation by ICANN, some registrars
may not have accurate data.

The point about "Recommendation Concerning Feasibility of Unique
Contacts to have a Uniform Anonymized Email Address" sounds wonderfully
buzzwordish.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com