[CPWG] GAC Statement on the EPDP Addendum

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed May 6 08:16:55 UTC 2020

On 06/05/2020 06:15, John McCormac wrote:
> This point is problematic: "Domain Name Registration Data Should be
> Accurate". Ensuring registration accuracy is difficult and as has been
> shown in previous studies and de-accreditation by ICANN, some
> registrars may not have accurate data.

Increasingly in recent times,  both in the UK and Switzerland, I have
had to send a copy of my passport and proof of address for my company
when dealing with financial institutions, government services and legal
organisations. It looks to me like the world is moving at an increased
pace towards KYC (Know Your Customer) and I fail to understand why the
Domain Name Industry could continue living in its own bubble especially
when it comes to criminal activity and money laundering?
Kindest regards,

Olivier

ps. KYC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_your_customer