[CPWG] GAC Statement on the EPDP Addendum

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed May 6 17:58:48 UTC 2020

On 06/05/2020 09:16, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:

> On 06/05/2020 06:15, John McCormac wrote:
>> This point is problematic: "Domain Name Registration Data Should be
>> Accurate". Ensuring registration accuracy is difficult and as has been
>> shown in previous studies and de-accreditation by ICANN, some
>> registrars may not have accurate data.
>
> Increasingly in recent times,  both in the UK and Switzerland, I have
> had to send a copy of my passport and proof of address for my company
> when dealing with financial institutions, government services and legal
> organisations. It looks to me like the world is moving at an increased
> pace towards KYC (Know Your Customer) and I fail to understand why the
> Domain Name Industry could continue living in its own bubble especially
> when it comes to criminal activity and money laundering?

GAC, from this statement, assumes that all people will act in a uniform
and law-abiding manner. There are multiple jurisdictions involved. There
are people who, with good reason, wish to obscure their details from
hostile governments and other bad actors. There are people who are
registering domain names for criminal purposes. There are registrars who
knowingly facilitate iffy activity. The problem isn't the domain name
industry living in a bubble. It is the GAC assumption that the real
world is perfect that is the problem.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com