[CPWG] Calif. AG mentions ALAC advice in note to ICANN re: PIR

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Fri May 8 19:26:05 UTC 2020

Evan,
I’m certainly trying to take this all on and, if the consensus we reached was somehow a product of my mismanagement, I’m certainly sorry. Part of the issue was that it seemed rushed with short deadlines for comments while information was still coming out. At the time, only one, or perhaps two, ISOC chapters had come out against the sale and all that about loans and such was not yet out either.

As for due diligence, you know quite well that I DID contact several commenters/organizers to see how we might work together to achieve consensus and the vitriol began very early. I ALSO know, as you do, that the whole movement was begun by the domainers and carried their imprimatur for quite some time. There was a HUGE campaign to get non-profits involved but it didn’t start there. It began with Chicken Little emails about the end of the world, coming from the only community that REALLY has price sensitivity. In fact, you were one of the proponents of lifting the price caps when that issue came up because you hoped it might serve to limit speculation. I have ZERO intention to be elitist here. I confess, my radar was tuned in on the domainers’ role, perhaps for too long. We were in a time crunch,  with limited information,  most of the public comments had been form generated and our “leader” on this Roberto seemed to know a reasonable path forward.

All that said, taking whatever responsibility I must bear, I still believe that you are being naïve to suggest that the AG made some careful study of any of this and felt compelled to save the day. Perhaps that’s just a narrative you are trying to establish to get people into a reform mindset (I agree with most of your suggestions about polling and trying to figure out what the informed public wants!) but we all know that he was lobbied and saw a political opportunity here and took it, something that also gives me pause, as you know.

I’m not sure I’ve said anything new and we might just be repeating things back to each other at this point. Perhaps the best path forward is to explore ways to better reflect the will of end users and, for that, I’m 100% on board.
Jonathan