[CPWG] Subsequent Procedures: Call for comments on Topic 23: Closed Generics (aka Exclusive Generics)

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 12:42:04 UTC 2020

Further to a query I received on a definition and examples of a generic
word, please refer to:

*Definition*
A "Generic String" means a string consisting of a word or term that
denominates or describes a general class of goods, services, groups,
organizations or things, as opposed to distinguishing a specific brand of
goods, services, groups, organizations or things from those of others (as
defined in Specification 11, 3(d) of the Registry Agreement).

*Examples:*
The list of generic strings which the GAC drew up for the last round can be
found at https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/gac-advice/cat2-safeguards.
The classic example would be .BOOK

Justine