[CPWG] Subsequent Procedures: Call for comments on Topic 23: Closed Generics (aka Exclusive Generics)

mail@christopherwilkinson.eu CW mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Wed Sep 9 16:43:46 UTC 2020

Dear Justine: Thankyou.

I support the Sadowski et al. proposal, particularly as it could be applied to Geo Names.
I have noted the semantic argument against this proposal which is not relevant. A different moniker would also be OK.

I do not support other proposals for 'closed' generics. (a) these are a misnomer. In fact they would be 'private' gTLDs.
(b) more generally I want the DNS to protect the interests of the general public (users) in their collective rights to use their own languages. Furthermore undesirable precedents in US/EN usages must not be allowed to prejudice future practice in other languages and scripts.

CW