[CPWG] CPWG - ICANN72 participation

Bill Jouris b_jouris at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 19:06:32 UTC 2021

 I must agree.
I would dearly love to have an in-person meeting in Seattle.  But at the moment, I think the balance has to be not to do it this year.
Bill Jouris
    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 11:32:31 AM PDT, mail at christopherwilkinson.eu CW via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org> wrote:

Good evening:

Domain Name Wire editor, Andrew Alleman is lobbying for an in-person ICANN72 in Seattle, next October:

https://domainnamewire.com/2021/07/14/icanns-board-should-go-forward-with-in-person-seattle-meeting/
May I say that I think this is a rather bad idea. It would be premature visà vis Covid 19 and extremely difficult to obtain balanced participation with present travel funding policies.

   -
Covid 19 : irrespective of more generalized vaccinations and testing, it is likely that many participants will have to quarantine for several days on arrival and/or on returning home. At present this is typically 10 days for some countries.

Who knows what the situation will be world-wide in October?

   -
Balanced participation: Apparently in support of their case, their blurb notes that “Seattle is home to a large (and growing) number of domain name companies”. So be it, but there are also an even larger number of domain name companies which are NOT in Seattle.

   -
US Visas : most non-US participants will have to get a new ESTA travel permit ;
e.g. mine has certainly expired.

ALAC and CPWG may reach their own conclusions about achieving balanced AC/SO participation in these circumstances. In my view, an in-person ICANN72 dominated by local domain name companies hardly inspires confidence in the light of At Large's declared objectives for the future.

CW, Xàbia, July 2021