[CPWG] CPWG - ICANN72 participation

Roberto Gaetano mail.roberto.gaetano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:04:36 UTC 2021

I agree with CW - with the caveat that the ESTA problem will only be postponed to ICANN73 in Puerto Rico, although the sanitary situation could be more favourable.

I think that the fact that “Seattle is home to a large (and growing) number of domain name companies” is rather speaking against an in-person meeting, simply because we cannot say that the other stakeholder groups will enjoy an equally favourable situation.

Trying to see the situation from the outside, I would argue that if ICANN is a domain name industry gathering it would make sense to hold an in-person meeting in Seattle, while if ICANN is the place where the multi-stakeholder community meets it would not make sense. My point is that we have sufficient bias during normal times in terms of multi-stakeholder participation that we do not need an additional one where large part of the world outside the highly vaccinated areas (probably just NA and EU) would not be able to attend. And this not to speak about the fact that under these circumstances the presence is likely to be limited to the professionals of the domain name market.

I am curious to see how the situation evolves and what will be the justification for ICANN to decide in one direction or the other, and also keep an eye on the record of in-person participation for different geographical areas and/or stakeholder groups.

Cheers,
Roberto