[CPWG] Transfer Policy Review Team: Question about the 60-days lock

Theo Geurts atlarge at dcx.nl
Thu Nov 18 12:20:36 UTC 2021

John,

Can you explain the relationship between domain locks for 60 days and attacks using stolen payment details?
A lot of the EU ccTLD registries and other ccTLDs do not have such a 60-day lock and I never saw any issues in relation to stolen payment details. And to be clear, we process a lot of incoming and outgoing ccTLD transfers.

In addition, to drastically reduce domain theft, you have to have a big issue of domain theft first. The current amount of unauthorized transfers complaints is very low as provided by compliance. I suspect domain theft (which is a different bucket) is even lower, though we do not have real statistics. With the exception of IRTP-D, from what I recall dispute providers had a total of 2 cases since 2016.

I do not mind the 60 day lock in the sense that it bothers me. However, as a registrar, I would not mind the option to be able to remove the lock in certain scenarios.

Thanks,
Theo