[CPWG] Interesting domain theft statistic

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 24 05:34:04 UTC 2021

In our discussions related to the Transfer Policy PDP, the issue of
domain hyjacking and other nefarious actions has come up often, with
some people claiming it is a major issue and others that it is not. I
just cam across an interesting  tidbit.

If you register a domain with GoDaddy, one of the things that pops up
(encouraging you to purchase a service from them) is the attached image.

I have no idea where the statistic of 170,000 attempted domain thefts
per year comes from.

Alan