[CPWG] Malware report

Theo Geurts atlarge at dcx.nl
Thu Nov 25 09:22:51 UTC 2021

Good report.

*Domain names are essential resources for spam and phishing attacks; however, the data we collected reveal that they are less commonly used for serving malware or for malware distribution. *

I find this finding rather significant given the fact that ransomware/malware has a high impact if not the highest at the moment. Current estimates are around 25 billion dollars in damages and losses per year. Given the fact that not every company reports that they are a victim of ransomware, the damages could be much higher.

The TLD top 20 is also interesting as number 10 is a ccTLD that has very rigorous registrant (ID)verification and validation requirements. Given the previous Interisle report on phishing with similar results, the question arises what validation and (ID)verification will solve? Not spam/phishing/malware/ransomware it seems.

Best,
Theo