[CPWG] ICANN position on the Facebook outage

sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:17:05 UTC 2021

Dear CW,

Geoff Huston has explained what (Has and what could have) happened so
lucidly. Wondering if Facebook couldn't have avoided all this by separating
it's command and control plane from the production plane; perhaps *diverse*
redundant technical infrastructure and service could have minimised this
risk; Facebook could also have studied MANRS standards and could have
sought their help even for designing their internal routing flow between
their own data servers; I wish that Facebook really surprises Geoff Huston
in the coming weeks by sharing with the Internet community detailed
technical reports of what really happened, with a view to take expert
advice and help to make its own infrastructure far more robust.
Transparency wouldn't bring about shame even in the slightest measure. It
merely acknowledges the unforeseeable in this young technolgy that far
exceeds anyone's ability to completely master.

(This response is separate from my earlier comment, I am NOT implying here
that this is anything more than an internal technical issue with Facebook.
Having said that, I still chose to post this response because Facebook
happens to be larger than a private enterprise and because what it does and
does not do impacts at least a part of the whole world)

Sivasubramanian M