[CPWG] The Bulk Registrations issue and why it is complex

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Tue Apr 5 12:40:25 UTC 2022

On 05/04/2022 12:25, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:
> John
>
> But what is your definition of “bulk”?

It is a very tricky question, Michele,
I don't have an exact definition yet.

There can be a lot of activity going on with a gTLD that might appear to
be bulk registrations but without WHOIS data to measure the
concentration of registrations, a spike due to a registry or registrar
promotion might be considered "bulk". The concentration (new domain
names to registrants) might help.

> How many domains registered at once constitute “bulk”?
>
> 10?

I've definitely registered this many at a time across TLDs for brand
protection purposes.

> 100?
>
> 1000?
>
> Over what period of time?
>
> Minutes?
>
> Hours?
>
> Days?

It would have to be over a few months at least. Otherwise celebrity and
event driven registrations and speculative bubbles will get lumped into
the set.

> Can the “definition” be applied to all TLDs?

Not unless there is a data element. It would be better to approach it on
a TLD-specific basis that takes the performance of the TLD into account.
Some TLDs may not have bulk registration issues.

> I’d argue that there’s a massive difference between say 100 domains
> being registered in .bank vs in .store (as a silly example)

Agreed. Heavy discounting is now an established feature of many gTLDs.
The problem is that the absence of WHOIS data and registration patterns
makes it a lot more difficult to identify abusive registrations. Without
heavy discounting, some new gTLDs would have to spend a lot more money
on marketing their gTLD in a highly competitive market and would end up
with far fewer registrations than they have now.

There was a recommendation in the CCT report that ICANN track pricing
data. If ICANN had this kind of data to hand then it would be very
helpful in defining bulk registrations and identifying trends that are
direct results of heavy discounting. It still gets back to the problem
of identifying what registrations are registered for malicious purposes
and that's getting into Precog/Minority Report territory where the
software and technology is just not good enough to guess the intent of
all registrants.

Regards...jmcc

John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com