[CPWG] The Bulk Registrations issue and why it is complex

Theo Geurts atlarge at dcx.nl
Tue Apr 5 13:10:44 UTC 2022

Let's say bulk means 50 registrations before alarms start to sound.

Then the criminals will simply start pulling data from fake ID generator APIs and connect those to the registrar/reseller APIs and generate new unique RNH data/contacts.  If that sounds out of the realm of possibilities, consider I have already seen criminals doing this to avoid detection in 2018. Every BEC fraud domain had a unique registrant and they had registered 200 domains total. Their OPSEC was pretty good on the registrant side of things, on the technical infrastructure side, it was an absolute mess and very easy to track down and shut down such domain names.

Best,
Theo