[CPWG] OCTO-34 Challenges with Alternative Name Systems

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 00:42:19 UTC 2022

This came to my attention vide the NCAP Discussion Group and is a
worthwhile read for those with concerns over name collisions in competing
name spaces (please note that these sort of name collisions is out-of-scope
for the NCAP Studies) and I would add to Jim's excerpt extracted from the
document ......

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/octo-034-27apr22-en.pdf

"*A key reason to obtain a brandable domain is that it is easy to remember,
pronounce, and spell. We also make assumptions. For example, you might
assume that any potential customer anywhere in the world could use the
domain name you select to connect with you easily, either by clicking on a
link or typing the name into a browser, regardless of which platform the
customer is using.*

*This assumptions holds true when you get a regular DNS domain name. Once
the proper DNS records and web servers for that domain name are set up, any
user on the Internet can reach you. This is one of the most important
advantages of the DNS: domain names can be resolved by anyone, anywhere on
the planet, from any platform. Meanwhile, alternative naming systems have
existed for a long while, but have remained marginal. More recently,
various blockchains have introduced their own naming systems. Those are
often promoted as real alternatives to the DNS.*

*If you are using a name that is part of such an alternative naming
solution, the above assumption no longer holds true. Resolving domain names
in an alternative naming system requires a specialized bridge from the DNS
world in order for the alternate names to work. What does this mean to the
average Internet user? Unless Internet users install specific software or
configure certain settings on all of their devices, they will not be able
to use these non-DNS names. In this circumstance, an Internet user clicking
on a link with an alternate name will see a failure with an error message
that the domain cannot be found.....*"

Justine