[CPWG] OCTO-34 Challenges with Alternative Name Systems

Satish Babu sbabu at ieee.org
Fri Apr 29 05:02:14 UTC 2022

Thanks Justine.

It is true that presently users need to install additional software to
access these alternative names. However, we need to be mindful of a recent
trend where new, crypto-savvy browsers support alternative roots
out-of-the-box, without the need to install additional software. For
instance, the Brave Browser comes with Tor built in.

If this trend consolidates in future, it will tend to blur the difference
between DNS and alternative roots, which, in my opinion, may possibly
undermine end-user trust in the DNS.

With kind regards

satish