[CPWG] Today's call and the ccTLD/gTLD trends/Following ccTLDs on DNS Abuse

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Fri Apr 29 05:39:43 UTC 2022

On 29/04/2022 00:18, Carlton Samuels wrote:
> John and Evan have both settled on facts surrounding the ccTLD domain
> business that, while not generally known, are key to their operational
> success.
>
> The marketing of .co as an alternative to .com is serendipity exploited
> for profit.  They simply upended the 2nd level UK domain naming
> convention and went for it. Similar arguments sustain the business
> models adopted for .ag, .bz and .pr.
>
> You would have noticed several of those with marquee status are in the
> LAC region. They bring  relatively good revenue and wider participation
> in the domain name business to the region that has historically been
> left behind, domain business wise. I can tell you there is no appetite
> to disrupt that revenue flow.

The .CO was a masterclass in marketing, Carlton,
It really set the standard for launching a repurposed TLD. It also
launched in a very different TLD landscape (much less competition from
gTLDs). The repurposed ccTLDs are generally quite good on registrant
rights and it is in the best interests of the registry to operate the
ccTLD well.

The ISO3166 Alpha 2 code for Colombia is CO so it may have been sheer
good luck. One of the main reasons that the .CO did so well was because
it was on Godaddy and that gave it immediate access to the US market.

 From building a database of all ccTLD registrars (magnitudes more
difficult than simply checking the ICANN registars), one of the things I
noticed was that many of the larger ccTLDs have brand protection
operators as registrars in addition to their own local registrars.
That's a set of companies with very useful experience in ccTLDs and
knowledge of how they handle registrant rights.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com