[CPWG] Today's call and the ccTLD/gTLD trends/Following ccTLDs on DNS Abuse

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:18:50 UTC 2022

John and Evan have both settled on facts surrounding the ccTLD domain
business that, while not generally known, are key to their operational
success.

The marketing of .co as an alternative to .com is serendipity exploited for
profit.  They simply upended the 2nd level UK domain naming convention and
went for it. Similar arguments sustain the business models adopted for .ag,
.bz and .pr.

You would have noticed several of those with marquee status are in the LAC
region. They bring  relatively good revenue and wider participation in the
domain name business to the region that has historically been left behind,
domain business wise. I can tell you there is no appetite to disrupt that
revenue flow.

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*