[CPWG] Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:24:40 UTC 2022

Justine:

Encirca is selling domains in the blockchain - see
https://www.encirca.com/blockchain/.

Check the presentation that they gave NARALO about this theme:
https://www.facebook.com/647891920/videos/2953461934799818/ . The
presentation starts around 4 minutes into the video.

-ed

-ed

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 7:08 AM Chokri Ben Romdhane via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
wrote:

> Dear Justine,
> Thank you for your time and interest in this topic.
> To answer your question "Do you have or can you collect some actual data
> to support your remark of "*Some ICANN accredited registrars sell some
> blockchain DNS based gTLDs," *
> Yes , I know some as I have mentioned in the question but it will be very
> hard to get exact data, and   I think that it will be useful to suggest to
> ICANN to make a study about the accredit registrar whose selling Blockchain
> domain name.
>
> Friendly regards
> Chokri
>
> Le ven. 19 août 2022 à 11:00, Justine Chew <justine.chew.icann at gmail.com>
> a écrit :
>
>> We need to examine available information such as:
>> -Whether OCTO has or is looking to change its position from the relevant
>> paper it published in April 2022 on this topic, in light of developments
>> with blockchain etc etc
>> -Whether SSAC has or is working on an opinion on the topic (outside of
>> NCAP, for which alt DNS is out of scope)
>>
>> Do you have or can you collect some actual data to support your remark of
>> "*Some ICANN accredited registrars sell some blockchain DNS based
>> gTLDs,"*?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Justine
>>

>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 at 17:08, Chokri Ben Romdhane <chokribr at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear friends,
>>> I personally have in mind those  questions for the board about
>>>  distributed DNS
>>>
>>> "*Some ICANN accredited  registrars sell some blockchain DNS based
>>> gTLDs, did the board  encourage such activities?*
>>> *If some non regular DNS causes some collision with some regular DNS
>>> gTLD ,accredited by ICANN, how will ICANN act to resolve this issue?*"
>>>
>>> If you  continue to consider those questions immature as most of our
>>> friends mentioned during the call, I personally support Sebastien's
>>> proposal to constitute a subgroup that will continue to follow this topic.
>>>
>>> Thank you again for your interest in this topic.
>>> Friendly regards
>>> Chokri

*Notice*: This email may contain confidential information, is subject to
legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or copy
any part of this email. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately.