[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Aug 26 16:48:52 UTC 2022

Hi Roberto,

> The overarching question I have - off-topic, though - is whether the
> incredible rise in cost of energy will have an effect on further
> development and deployment of blockchain technologies, since this looks
> like using an inordinate amount of power.

IMO the use of blockchain in this particular effort serves two possible
purposes:

   - Attracting suckers investors and potential customers with today's tech
   buzzword-du-jour
   - Enabling the proclamation of "what makes Blockchain domains so
   different than previous alt roots" for the purposes of threatening ICANN
   and its community

Whether its business model is either financially or environmentally
sustainable is besides the point.

Cheers,
- Evan