[CPWG] A call for topics for the ICANN73 GAC-ALAC bilateral meeting

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed Feb 2 18:34:46 UTC 2022

On 02/02/2022 14:43, jkuleszaicann--- via CPWG wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thank you for a productive CPWG call today.
>
> Please kindly see attached a list of topics to considered for the
> GAC/ALAC bilateral meeting with a kind request to @ICANN At-Large Staff
> <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org> to upload it onto the Wiki in a format
> similar to the one proposed by Justine:
> https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=186778158
> <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=186778158> .
>
> @justine.chew.icann at gmail.com <mailto:justine.chew.icann at gmail.com> as
> per your suggestion, I added the issues raised for the GNSO meeting,
> feel free to specify which would be most relevant also for the GAC meeting.
>
> @All, please share comments on the list by the end of the week.

Sorry for missing the meeting today. Just some comments on that EU DNS
Abuse study linked in the Word document.

1. The definition of DNS Abuse is too wide and seems to include IP
issues which are not DNS Abuse (they are Content Abuse issues rather
than DNS) and are covered by UDRP and URS in gTLDs with ccTLDs having
their own versions.

2. The CENTR estimate of web usage is inaccurate. This is not an
accurate measurement of web usage and development. It is highly
misleading because web usage across TLDs varies. I also don't rate the
methodology as adequate. Usage in the top 100 gTLDs varies considerably
and some are nowhere near as developed as the CENTR estimate claims. The
ccTLDs also have their own quirks and complexities.

3. The economics of DNS Abuse seems to be missing. The heavy discounting
model used by some of the new gTLDs to drive registration volume has
changed the economic model of some kinds of DNS abuse. (There was a
Dutch study a few years ago that established that there was a major
switch of problematic registrations from the legacy gTLDs to the new
gTLDs that was linked to the costs of registration. The mention, in this
EU DNS Abuse document, of problem registrations being one year
registrations was semed lacking a clue on the economics of abusive
registrations. The abusive registrant simply lets the existing abusive
registration drop and simply registers another discounted domain name.
It may seem obvious to those of us in the domain name business but to
those outside it, it is obviously a bit of a mystery.

4. It is rather ironic to see the born again hard attitude about .EU and
speculative and abusive registrations considering that the incompetence
of those forming the regulations for the .EU ccTLD left the ccTLD open
to being completely plundered when it launched. It never quite became
the European Union's alternative to the .COM gTLD as a direct result.
The reality is that .EU is not even a third choice TLD for most
registrants in the EU as they tend to register in their local ccTLD
first, .COM second and then, perhaps, .NET or .ORG gTLDs. Some movement
on abusive registrations in the .EU is a good thing even if it is about
17 years too late.

5. The ICANN definition of DNS Abuse is superior to this rather muddled
attempt at a definition that blurs the line between DNS Abuse and
Content Abuse. It is an IP community wishlist to save money on UDRP
actions.

6. DNS Abuse is a moving target. Those doing the abuse adapt and change
their behaviour. The problem with many of the approaches is that the are
trying to solve problems from last year or the year before and are often
unaware of current threats.

7. The NIS2 Directive is a poorly reasoned disaster in how it defines
the DNS chain as critical infrastructure.

8. The technical appendix is interesting and worth reading.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com