[CPWG] Today's call and the ccTLD/gTLD trends/Following ccTLDs on DNS Abuse

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed May 4 12:54:33 UTC 2022

On 29/04/2022 19:36, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> So ... taking this from a valuable discussion to constructive ALAC
> action that will well-serve registrars, registrants and end-users alike:
> (See, Holly, I'm not always pessimistic🙂)
>
> I would like to propose that the CPWG advance to ALAC Official Advice
> that ICANN provide the resources to support creation and maintenance of
> a comprehensive public table/database/whatever that describes the
> various ccTLD policies and features, compared and contrasted to each
> other as well as to the general policies/features described in the RAA
> between ICANN and all gTLDs.
>
>   * This should *_not_* be advanced as part of the annual ALAC project
>     allocation request, because that implies a one-shot project with a
>     fixed shelf life. ALAC should advocate this as a permanent component
>     of ICANN's Accountability and Transparency, and ongoing benefit to
>     registrars, registrants and end-users.
>
>   * If at all possible the content could be coordinated by ALAC, ICANN
>     staff and the ccNSO. If the ccNSO refuses to participate, that
>     should not be an obstacle. (probably the good CC registries will
>     support this, but not all of them are good so ccNSO consensus
>     support may be difficult)
>
>   * If ICANN does not want ownership of this project for whatever
>     reason, it should still support (ie, resource) the publication of
>     this information through a reliable third party (John's site, perhaps?)
Not sure of the politics of the situation.

Having ICANN ownership sounds OK in theory but the problem is that when
it comes to complex problems, as seen with the OpenData project, ICANN
gets some high spec and expensive software that works but it is let down
by poor quality data formats and missing or corrupt data. Approximately
72 registry transactions reports were faulty in November 2021 and there
were also faulty reports in October 2021. The .AFRICA magically changes
each month with no data on new regs since it launched. Integrity checks
are very simple to code if you can think in SQL but ICANN seems to hope
that the registries will check everything before uploading.

As for the system used for working group pages and updates, that takes
about 50 seconds for an updated page to reload.

It might be getting a bit ahead of things working out where to host such
data as the data has still to be collected and parsed.

What such a project is trying to achieve would need to be worked out
first and then proceed from there.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com