[CPWG] Today's call and the ccTLD/gTLD trends/Following ccTLDs on DNS Abuse

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Thu May 5 00:14:22 UTC 2022

On 04/05/2022 17:08, gopal at annauniv.edu wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am opting to respond to one of the mails on this subject that reached me.
>
> Since, I am traveling this week, I have limited time to catch up on the
> other responses.
>
> The attachment is a visual on the ccTLDs that has been useful for me
> while doing some discussions
> on geopolitics in a limited manner.
>
> ccTLDs are highly prone to using "Domain Hack" techniques.
>
> For example: inter.net dates back to 1992.
>
> www.cou.ch  : Is a good choice for a couch vendor for branding but it
> has .ch
>
> www.mydoma.in : Is a common idea in India.
>
> coffeehou.se : Is a catchy name for a Coffee Shop

Domain hacks are a niche rather than generally used domain names. This
is because the ccTLD part of the domain name becomes psychologically
invisible to the users in that country. This is because with successful
ccTLDs, people begin to think of the ccTLD as *their* TLD. Think of the
way that people give directions to their favourite restaurant or shop.
Theydon't give the name of the country unless they are living in a
border region.

> Also, the trend is that a .com domain name is purchased before registering
> a ccTLD domain name.

For ccTLDs launched since the DotCom bubble, perhaps but unless the
ccTLD is in a developing market with an early phase registry (manual
registrations processing and typically run from a university Computer
Science or government department) the ccTLD registation may predate the
equivalent .COM registration. Where the domain name is a highly generic
term, the .COM registration may have been registered decades ago. The
ccTLD/.COM pair used to be the "must-register" pair for businesses but
as ccTLD markets started to dominate their local country markets, many
registrants only register a .ccTLD domain name. That increasing
"uniqueness" percentage increases as the ccTLD becomes more popular. The
gTLDs then start to fall back to replacement level and new registration
volume switches to the ccTLD.

The development level of the local Internet infrastructure also plays a
part. Where there is a less developed infrastructure, domain names and
sites will be hosted outside the country. As the infrastructure
develops, domain names and sites shift to be locally hosted. If the .COM
registration fee is cheaper than the local ccTLD in a developing market
then more registrations from that country will be .COM/gTLD than .ccTLD
but that changes once there is widespread adoption of the ccTLD in that
country.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com