[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Oct 4 07:51:48 UTC 2022

Hi Annett,

My takeway is that  it would be important for ALAC to keep an eye on the
> developments of blockchain domains globally for the sole purpose of
> advocating for and protecting the interests of the Internet end users.

Agree. "Keep an eye on it" is the best ALAC can do ... and if there are
real, user-affecting changes that call for advice to the Board or other
constituencies then that is wholly appropriate. But not until then.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that there is no place for discussing DNS
alternatives, just maintaining that ICANN (and by inference ICANN At-Large)
is not the place for it. This is exactly the kind of issue that the IGF
needs to be discussing, and perhaps it's also worthy of ISOC and/or its
chapters. I note in my review of the applicable Bylaws that ICANN should
coordinate with other bodies as recommended by the IETF, so that is also a
place where this topic can be raised at the appropriate time.

When the blockchain-registry-wannabes get on the radar of IETF as something
worthy of consideration, we can revisit this again in a different light.
Until then it's all just vapor and threats.

- Evan