[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:37:30 UTC 2022

Michael:
There are a few of us who long ago read the same bit of prose you did and
interpreted a much wider ICANN role in the Internet ecosystem, for example,
a role in provisioning a wider range of public goods and services.  [For
those of us who are ICT4D practitioners situated in the global South and
concerned with so-called "end user interests", access and cost of access to
the DNS are more compelling than not.]

I hate to tell you it is the orthodoxy of ICANN, the public
benefit corporation, aided and abetted by a variety of interests resident
in the ICANN [multistakeholder] community who say otherwise.

The crowning argument is that stability and security and resilience are
finely graded and represent a very narrow remit.

I give you even money the 'smart money' thinks blockchain-based naming
systems, such as this ENS, is just another alt that is doomed to failure.
The obvious strategic response is to starve it of oxygen by not
collaborating with [DNS root] integration initiatives. I actually think the
orthodox are more concerned that ICANN-accredited registrars dabbling in
the alt naming system trade is by far, the greater threat.

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*