[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

mike palage.com mike at palage.com
Tue Sep 27 15:42:33 UTC 2022

Hello All,

I would encourage everyone to listen to the recording. However, I would actually start with the third presentation by CIRA (.CA).  In my personal opinion that was the best of the three.

Evan I am going to push back. I think At-Large is probably the optimal place to discuss alternative root names.  Per the At Large Website – “At-Large Community acts on the interests of Internet users.”  I would argue that At Large is not limited to just Root Zone domain names and IP addresses.   Moreover, when you look at ICANN’s articles of incorporation, I think it provides a much larger mandate that just the coordination of domain names and IP addresses:

pursue the charitable and public purposes of lessening the burdens of government and promoting the global public interest in the operational stability of the Internet by carrying out the mission set forth in the bylaws of the Corporation (“Bylaws”). Such global public interest may be determined from time to time.  Any determination of such global public interest shall be made by the multistakeholder community through an inclusive bottom-up multistakeholder community process.

Best regards,

Michael