[CPWG] Suggested reading: "Hegemonic practices in multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings"

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Apr 18 16:37:14 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM David Mackey via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
wrote:

> It may be noted that ALAC is only referenced once in the article content,
> and then only as a definition. Even the definition of ALAC has a
> spelling error ... "Ad-Large Advisory Committee".

Incorrect.

Under section 4 we have:

*"an absence of awareness of ICANN among the public at large leaves the
regime with a narrow base of legitimacy. True, the world’s 4.7 billion
regular internet users (as of 2020) obtain notional representation in the
ICANN multistakeholder framework through the At-Large Constituency.
However, participants in At-Large are self-selected and have few systematic
communications with the wider public."*

Plus, the 2017 At-Large Review is cited in the bibliography.
So, the authors are aware of ALAC and At-Large but dismiss its significance
in ICANN's governance.
Sounds accurate to me.

As I have said repeatedly... concentrating all efforts on *user-focused
public education* and *selective advocacy based on research of public needs*
is ALAC's best (and I would argue only) path to legitimacy.

- Evan