[CPWG] Quick check of African ccTLD and gTLD website market

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed Aug 30 16:16:05 UTC 2023

As per my comment inthe CPGW discussion today, I took a look at some of
the African ccTLDs and the gTLD website counts. The African ccTLD
figures are from AFTLD.org and the gTLD websites are from a full gTLD
survey (August 2023) that I run every month. The IP to country
resolution still needs to be tweaked a bit.

Some of the Freedom ccTLDs have exceptionally high numbers of ccTLD
domain names and the vast majority are not associated with the
countries. Gabon has terminated its ccTLD agreement with Freenom.

The Seychelles gTLD website figure is abnormally high due to Seychelles
IP addresses having been acquired by non-Seychelles companies.

The big operator in the ICANN AF region is South Africa and many
non-South African websites are hosted on South African IP addresses.
Many domain names and hosters in the AF region use hosting outside of
their country and there are certain patterns to where they are hosted.

Regards...jmcc

Country - ccTLD - ccTLD Doms - gTLD websites.
Angola	ao	726	107
Burkina Faso	bf	1,503	34
Burundi	bi	2,944	11
Benin	bj	1,358	24
Botswana	bw	9,384	100
Congo (Dem Republic)	cd	5,797	174
Central African Republic	cf	2,382,938	1
Republic of Congo	cg		38
Côte d'Ivoire	ci	19,300	708
Cameroon	cm	43,146	125
Cape Verde 	cv	2,184	19
Djibouti	dj	7,604	9
Algeria	dz	11,918	857
Egypt	eg	10,205	4,519
Western Sahara	eh	0	1
Eritrea	er		0
Ethiopia 	et	2,684	178
Gabon	ga	2,973,094	22
Ghana	gh	2,682	381
Gambia	gm	1,461	7
Guinea	gn	381	17
Equatorial Guinea	gq	2,148,087	18
Guinea-Bissau	gw	212	3
Kenya	ke	100,253	3,852
Comoros	km	300	1
Liberia	lr	360	8
Lesotho	ls	1,720	7
Libya	ly	17,773	46
Morocco	ma	80,940	9,188
Madagascar	mg	4,180	93
Mali	ml	1,276,782	95
Mauritania	mr	747	7
Mauritius	mu	9,095	974
Malawi	mw	1,969	181
Mozambique	mz	6,097	83
Namibia	na	4,366	456
Niger	ne	692	9
Nigeria	ng	153,665	812
Rwanda	rw	4,537	138
Seychelles	sc	5,148	3,612,645
Sudan	sd	3,671	99
Sierra Leone	sl	1,605	3
Senegal	sn	5,115	139
Somalia	so	10,176	264
South Sudan	ss		9
Sao Tome and Principe	st		2
Swaziland	sz	1,670	49
Chad	td	655	4
Togo	tg	1,566	34
Tunisia	tn	42,914	3,341
Tanzania	tz	18,756	287
Uganda	ug	7,430	200
South Africa	za	1,232,416	903,422
Zambia	zm	6,162	81
Zimbabwe	zw	38,753	175

John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com