[CPWG] Ready, Fire, Aim

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Aug 31 03:49:43 UTC 2023

In a previous life I believed that any time spent on crafting a corporate
mission statement was truly time wasted. Since then I have realized that
this disdain came from my observation that most mission statements are
bland, generic business-speak using words like "excellence" and
"leadership" and especially "synergy" (a trait well expressed in a lovely
Weird Al song <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4>).

I have come to realize that an succinct, expressive, jargon-free statement
of purpose can be of substantial value and is worth the effort. It can
provide necessary focus, constantly reminding us why exactly we're here,
minimizing mission creep and setting priorities on which to spend our
limited resources. Mission drives strategy (getting more specific) and
strategy drives tactics (down to the detail level). The reason I started
this thread comes from the frustration of seeing ALAC engage in activities
that don't seem to be part of a coherent strategy and thus questionable
linkage to any overarching At-Large goal. Like Jonathan said, we can
occasionally have differences about whether any particular ICANN issue
serves our mission but without clear frames of reference such debates are
inefficient at best and futile at worst.

In this light, I welcome the opportunity to engage in a good-faith attempt
to develop something akin to an At-Large Strategic Plan, to ensure that we
pick our battles wisely and then fight them as best as our collective
talent is able. I would be delighted to participate in the Frankfurt
discussion Jonathan describes and perhaps even help to lead any followup
effort if you'll have me. Successful execution of this effort directly
addresses the concerns I expressed in opening this thread. Plus, it would
be a chance for people who don't know me here to finally see my
constructive side ;-).

- Evan