[CPWG] Quick check of African ccTLD and gTLD website market

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Thu Aug 31 13:08:56 UTC 2023

On 31/08/2023 13:42, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:
> John
>
> Do you have any historical data for European countries?
>
> I know that 20 odd years back a lot of the Irish internet, and I assume
> other countries’, was hosted in the US and elsewhere due to costs.
>
> Regards
>

> Michele

I'd have to dig back through some old website/IP surveys, Michele,
I think that there's one from June 2014 that covered the gTLDs and
possibly some from the 2000s if I can find the archives.

It might be possible to do a kind of "hosts where" for hosters but the
rise of multinational service providers/hosters like Hetzner, OVH, 1&1
and others have made things a lot more complex.

Every country seems to have a percentage of its domain names hosted
outside of its IP space. As a country's infrastructure improves, a lot
of the hosting moves back to that country's IP space. This is what
happened with a lot of European countries.

Regards...jmcc