[CPWG] Krebs On Security - Phishing domains tanked in ccTLDs after Meta sued Freenom

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Mon May 29 15:17:19 UTC 2023

On 29/05/2023 15:47, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:
> John
>
> Freenom’s business model was to give domains away for free.
>
> Most other ccTLDs, registries and registrars expect to get paid, so I
> don’t really see how you could draw parallels.

It is a problematic business model, Michele,
The danger is that rather than going through the normal process of
following infringing domain names through UDRP and URS (on gTLDs), the
lawyers for brand owners will see the effectiveness of Meta's move and
try the same thing targeting the registry or registry operator (also
bypassing registrars).

What's really sad about the business model is that it prevents a genuine
ccTLD market developing in the countries that have handed over their
ccTLD to Freenom.

> And brands etc., have sued registrars and registries in the past, so
> it’s not exactly “new”.

True. But this time it is the effect that matters rather than a small
number of infringing domain names. It could encourage calls for
registries and registrars to actively get into the content abuse
monitoring business far beyond what they do in dealing with iffy
registrations.

Regards...jmcc