[CPWG] Google pushes .zip and .mov domains onto the Internet, and the Internet pushes back

Bill Jouris b_jouris at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 15:41:05 UTC 2023

"The focus should not be on the ".zip" but on reducing the risk for end users. The solution could be at the browser level and the DNS level. "
I disagree.  I think we should pursue two goals simultaneously:  1) modify the process for vetting new proposed gTLDs, so problems like this get stopped.  Maybe it's a new review.  Maybe it's just putting people on the review panel who are familiar enough with the online world to spot these sorts of issues immediately.
2) deal with .ZIP specifically.  I think the potential harm here is substantial enough that ICANN should explore rescinding it's approval.  At absolute minimum, the gTLD holder should be notified a) that we see an obvious risk here, and b) that by continuing to register .ZIP domains they are assuming any and all legal risks -- that is, any victims of DNS Abuse can sue them and have ICANN's explicit support (in addition to being able to cite the notification at trial).  In short, by registering a .ZIP domain they are complicit, and legally accessories before the fact.
Bill Jouris

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM, Khaled Koubaa via CPWG<cpwg at icann.org> wrote:   _______________________________________________
CPWG mailing list