[CPWG] Google pushes .zip and .mov domains onto the Internet, and the Internet pushes back

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Wed May 31 01:21:09 UTC 2023

Maria,

Carlton is correct. In the 2012 round, there was a Top-Level Reserved Names
List which contained strings that were not allowed, these were mainly
associated with ICANN-related entities and functions as well as some
"well-known technical words":

AFRINIC  ALAC  APNIC  ARIN  ASO  CCNSO  EXAMPLE  GAC  GNSO  GTLD-SERVERS
IAB  IANA  IANA-SERVERS ICANN IESG IETF
INTERNIC  INVALID  IRTF ISTF  LACNIC  LOCAL LOCALHOST NIC  NRO  RFC-EDITOR
RIPE  ROOT-SERVERS  RSSAC  SSAC  TEST
TLD  WHOIS  WWW

For the next round, the ICANN Board has already approved a SubPro PDP
recommendation to add PTI to the above list.

Justine