[CPWG] Circleid - Universal acceptance issues

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:58:11 UTC 2023

Hi Maureen,

I agree with Hadia, thanks for sharing.

I think it's a good idea to be concerned about how policy is implemented in
the real world and not just policy creation in an ivory tower vacuum. ICANN
policy implementation depends on both the development and vendor
communities to bring policy to the real world.

I don't think it's wise for us to expect vendors to change their business
models in order for us to achieve our policy goals. However, if we
understand vendor business models and the market dynamics that ensue, we
can make sure to tailor our policy work to align with a speedy deployment
environment.

This statement from the article pops out to me ... "First, while IANA
maintains a canonical list of TLDs, there is no RFC nor any guidance from
ICANN as to clear best practices for the use of such a list in software
applications".

Standardization is often a useful tool to reduce deployment friction, and
therefore, make it easier to fit policy into any vendor's business model.

Can someone confirm that deployment of the Universal Acceptance policy
would benefit by new/modified IETF Standards relating to the DNS system?

If yes, then it would be good for the At-Large community to encourage IETF
standards development work in this direction. If not, we may have no other
choice than to accept the gap between policy development (ICANN) and market
based rollout timelines (Meta, Google, Apple, etc) exists.

In the meantime, we should continue to lobby the vendor community to help
them understand how our Universal Acceptance policy development aligns with
their business model objective to develop new markets.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
David