[CPWG] The MEAC gTLDs markets (why wait until next year?)

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Fri Sep 15 11:22:49 UTC 2023

On 15/09/2023 10:19, gopal wrote:
> Thank you John McCormac for a very useful mail.
>
> I have just returned from the ICANN APRALO General Assembly @ Istanbul.
>
> The General Assembly meeting was very enriching. We had a member from
> Yemen as well.
>
> I was doing some study [research based] about the Middle East before
> going to Istanbul for the General Assembly. You mail fits
> into this study.
>
> Kindly provide your comments on:
>
>   "Zeroes" in the following data sets:
>
> Yemen           0       0       0       174
> Mauritania      13      0       1       8
> Somalia         234     0       197     276
>
> Counter Intuitive "Local Figures" in  the following data sets:
>
> Afghanistan     44,622  1       35,455  94
> Bahrain         421     3       31      224

It is the methodology, Gopal,
The website to IP address survey each month covers all gTLDs and the
numbers are based on the associated country of the IP address.

The All gTLDs figures are based on the numbers of gTLD domain names on
registrars and resellers associated with the country.

The Local and External figures combine those registrars and resellers
figures with the gTLD website/IP survey figures.

The Sites (IP) figure is the total number of gTLD webistes identified on
the country's IP addresses.

The number of registrars and resellers (hosters) in a country is a
function of the country's economy and development of the Internet
infrastructure. (This is an issue that is beginning to affect .COM and
.NET with the price increases. It already created a visible difference
between developed and developing markets in some new gTLDs that have
registration and renewal fees that are multiples of that of .COM or
legacy gTLDs.) This means that some countries are more likely to host
websites and domain names outside of their country. Resellers will often
use large hosting operations which have their own reseller programmes.

The adjacent markets effect is a very obvious one. The overlap between
US and Canadian markets is significant. In the EU, the overlap between
the Irish and UK markets is considerable as are the overlaps between the
German and Austrian markets, the Dutch and Belgian markets, and the
Swedish and Danish markets.  Most of these are due to language and
history. There have also been consolidations with registrars and
resellers being acquired by large portfolio operators.

Team Blue is one of the larger ones in Europe and it has also acquired a
Turkish hoster. Some Dutch operators are active in the Spanish market.
Godaddy owns many of the top registrars and resellers in the UK market.

Despite all the acquisitons and mergers, the hosting business is still
incredibly localised outside of the very large players so the smaller
the number of domain names on a hoster, the more likely those domain
names are registered by people in those countries.

The registrations as a service registrars like Tucows has .COM websites
in 166 countries by website IP.

Godaddy has .COM websites in 206 countries. Many of those are
registrants who are using Godaddy for domain name registration but local
hosting for their websites.

What should be worrying ICANN is that the old 3R model of Registry -
Registrars - Registrants model that emerged in the 1990s is competely
unsuitable for the 21st century because the model is now more commonly
Registry - Registrar - Reseller - Registrant.

Due to the shift to ccTLDs, many large ccTLD registrars will not become
gTLD registrars as they did historically. Instead, they will outsource
their gTLD registrations business to "registrations as a service" gTLD
registrars and gTLD registrars with reseller programmes. Many hosters in
ccTLD markets won't even bother with the gTLDs and will concentrate on
ccTLD registrations.

The 3R model is a fatal flaw for new gTLDs intending to cover developing
markets. The gTLD registrar coverage is patchy at best (the number of
retail facing gTLD registrars is around 800) while there are often
hundreds or more local ccTLD registrars in some countries. People like
buying locally and from local businesses. This is why ccTLDs are
thriving in some countries while registrations in gTLDs in the same
countries have fallen back to near replacement levels.

Some of the 2012 round gTLDs were like people launching mail-order
services for selling loaves of bread. Some registries and their advisors
simply did not understand their markets.

Regards...jmcc