[CWG-Stewardship] My concerns with the draft proposal and an alternative option

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Mon Dec 1 14:03:05 UTC 2014

On 30/11/2014 23:21, Martin Boyle wrote:
> Malcolm, Chuck,
>
> I think I'm with what Chuck is saying.
>
> It has always worried me that people try to use IANA to solve
> problems where IANA has no power or authority.  This is where I have
> problems - otherwise of no concern to me! - with linking to the gTLD
> policy and contracting process.  That element - and the way the ICANN
> Board listens to the GNSO policy process or re-writes contract
> conditions or enforcement approaches - is, in my mind, firmly in
> stream 1 and nothing to do with the IANA oversight transition.  (Of
> course, as I said in Frankfurt, I am an outsider to this part of the
> namespace, so I'm ok with being put right.)
>
> But to make myself perfectly clear, I see a massive problem with
> using the IANA function to re-assess that which has been assessed in
> the approvals or enforcement function in ICANN, given the contractual
> relationship between the gTLDs and ICANN.  Put another way, this
> would be for IANA to turn down a delegation that has met the
> assessment proposal (litigation risks, to say the least), or to
> refuse a revocation request by ICANN because of failure to meet
> contract conditions (if IANA is no longer run in IANA, why wouldn't
> ICANN sue?).  Such authority to playing the maverick could have
> serious consequences for ccTLDs and national decisions and
> authority.

[snip one paragraph]

> For me the red-line is that IANA operations should not introduce new
> policies or conditions on the grounds that it fits more nicely with a
> particular model or that the policy was lacking.
>
> Hope this helps to clarify where I'm coming from.

Martin,

I agree with all the above, very much so.

Here is the paragraph I removed:

> What I was trying to say was, where we have particular concerns for
> the transition that would more properly belong to stream 1 - be that
> telling them that there needs to be mechanisms to ensure that the
> integrity of the gTLD policy processes and implementation are
> assured, whatever - we flag this to them for attention.

I am content that proposals for dealing with those other matters be
developed in Stream 1, but I think they should then be incorporated in
the report of this CCWG. My main reasons are contained in a very long
message in reply to Alan that will follow this reply.

I would add this in response to you: by incorporating those
recommendations in this CCWG's report we will have the opportunity to
align them precisely to avoid the possibility they would be misconstrued
as providing an opportunity to contest policy decisions through
IANA-appeals processes, as we both would wish to avoid.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929